[Resolved] Add header/footer UI in admin panel

• October 28, 2021 at 12:56 pm #8576
      J
      JulienVDC
      Participant

Hey I really like the new possibility of adding our custom CSS via the admin panel and thought having the same for header/footer would be really useful!

• May 24, 2022 at 5:36 am #10432
      J
      JulienVDC
      Participant

Hey @stevland, what do you think?

Being able to manage custom content inserted in header and footer (and perhaps use to be able to inject some JS). This would make it quite handy to make some visual changes (stored directly in the DB) without having to modify the code.

• May 24, 2022 at 9:14 pm #10495
      stevland
      Keymaster

The current header may not be very exciting, but you would not believe the amount of consideration that has gone into it.

It needs to be accommodating of a variety of logo dimensions, it needs to accommodate various languages (some of which have very looong words), it needs to be able to morph into a mobile layout, and it needs to be able to do everything backwards for right-to-left languages (such as Hebrew).

I can already imagine the torrent of support requests from disappointed users. I am definitely not open to making any of that customizable! :O

Likewise custom JS is something that scares me. If I made such a feature prominent I anticipate lots of confusing support requests regarding oddball issues that would eventually be traced down to custom JS code that worked as intended for one thing, but messed up something entirely unrelated in another area.

(You may be interested to know that there is a file in osta\js\ called user-scripts.js for end users to add their custom JS snippets, which are then the very last JS to be injected when the page loads. But I only mention it when people ask, and that is as far as I’ve gotten to implementing this feature.)

A custom footer is an idea that I have thought about over the years. And so I’ve added it to my list of ideas for future consideration.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. Cheers.

• May 25, 2022 at 6:30 am #10516
      J
      JulienVDC
      Participant

Hey @stevland thanks for the reply! 

Our idea was not to change the current header, but to add on top of it our custom company-wide header.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.