[Resolved] Microsoft is retiring basic auth for POP & IMAP #5390

• July 6, 2022 at 7:28 am #10920

See https://github.com/osTicket/osTicket/issues/5390.  A PR has been published and an RC should be forthcoming.  How quickly can osTicketAwesome have this included?

• July 13, 2022 at 4:15 pm #11002
      S
      Stephen@EhOS
      Participant

Bump.

We had to temporary re-enable our basic authentication IMAP protocol to get our e-mail fetchign to work again.  With this being said, Microsoft is permanently shutting down Basic Authentication come October 2022.  I also found the an article on OS Ticket’s forums (https://forum.osticket.com/d/96893-basic-authentication-retirement-for-legacy-protocols-in-exchange-online) and am happy to see that they have invested the time into updating their platform to use more modern and secure protocols.

With this being said, it looks like there is a release candidate available now, and I am sure borrowing some bug fixes and such, an general availability release shouldn’t be too far behind.  My question is how long do we think it might be before OSTicket Awesome adopts this updated release and releases their own version of it.  I am just asking as we have a hard set deadline of October 2022 to make the switch otherwise we will no longer be able to fetch e-mails from any Microsoft Exchange Online Mailbox.

Thoughts?

• July 14, 2022 at 1:56 pm #11046

Stephen,

MS seems to have killed IMAP for our org.  I’ve gone through the process to re-enable basic authentication.  How long did it take for the re-enable to work for you?

• August 16, 2022 at 7:31 am #11297

The latest release candidate for OSTicket 1.17RC3 includes support for the new oAuth2 authentication method for IMAP and SMTP.

We have trialled this with Google and Microsoft, and to no ones’ suprise the Microsoft one is presenting issues. We have it authorising with oAuth2 but IMAP then throws us out. I imagine this will be resolved by the time the final release is provided.

Google Workspace took us 10 minutes to configure and test with oAuth2. Microsoft … 3 days later, not working yet 😛

Jeremy

• August 29, 2022 at 9:46 am #11456
      S
      Stephen@EhOS
      Participant

Good Day All,

Just wanted to check in and see where this might be at.

I just looked back at the OSTicket forum that this is all discussed on (https://forum.osticket.com/d/96893-basic-authentication-retirement-for-legacy-protocols-in-exchange-online/138) and the post made by KevinTheJedi on August 23 shows that they seem to have finally ironed out the process fro getting OAuth 2.0 to work from Microsoft 365 to OSTicket.  The mentioned that v1.17 (which has this OAuth 2.0 update) should be ready in the next few weeks.  I just wanted to check what the turn around time for OSTicket Awesome is (when a new release of OSTicket is available) as there is a bit of a time crunch on this as Microsoft will be retiring Basic Authentication by October 2022 (I think the official retirement date is October 13th but don’t quote me on this).

Thanks all!

• September 1, 2022 at 7:13 am #11517
      D
      Dustin
      Participant

Watching this thread for sure. I have rebuilt our system using 17r3 and wondering when the awesomeness is due for release…. 

• October 3, 2022 at 7:57 am #11737
      E
      baystream
      Participant

Hello,

The final v1.17 was released on September 30.

When can we expect the new, updated theme? We are afraid that we won’t have tome before the hard cut of basic authentictaion by Microsoft.

Thanks,

Andras

• October 3, 2022 at 9:22 am #11745
      P
      peter.hygren
      Participant

Dito on question above… Forced to upgrade to 1.17 but now the awesomeness is gone.

• October 4, 2022 at 12:14 am #11759

Another one here, had to upgrade osticket but really missing the awesome…

• October 4, 2022 at 9:00 am #11833

I sent an inquiry about when we can expect a new release at https://osticketawesome.com/contact/.  If they provide an answer, I’ll post it here.  

• October 4, 2022 at 9:11 am #11840
      S
      Stephen@EhOS
      Participant

Hi All,

I am as excited to see the newest version of OSTicket be adopted and transformed into what we know and love by the OSTicket Awesome team however I can imagine this process can take a bit of time.  There is a bit of good news however, those of us that are still using the OSTicket Awesome (some previous version that doesn’t have OAuth2 within it) have a bit of reprieve.

Although Microsoft is / has now disabled Basic Authenticaiton, administrators in Microsoft 365 tenants can perform a one-time re-enablement of the Basic Authentication protocols with the final deadline for them being shut off now being December 2022 (giving us all a couple months to wait for the OSTicket Awesome version that has the OAuth2 functionality within it).  Please see the article linked below for more details:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/basic-authentication-deprecation-in-exchange-online-september/ba-p/3609437

I know this isn’t a fix, more of a patch for now but I figured I would share it with anyone who might be interested.

Looking forward to the new version of OSTicket Awesome when it arrives!

Thanks and have a great day!

• October 4, 2022 at 9:51 am #11847
      P
      peter.hygren
      Participant

Well, if I had known that, sure, but now I was under the impression that we were forced to update, so we did that. I’m not about to downgrade now. It was very cumbersome getting oauth to work by the way…

If the awesome update doesn’t come very soon I’ll be forced to look for a different solution.

• October 4, 2022 at 10:21 am #11854
      stevland
      Keymaster

Thank you for posting that workaround, @Stephen@EhOS.

But rest assured everyone, I should be releasing the next version this week. I will update this thread when I do.

• October 4, 2022 at 10:56 am #11862

Good to hear that there will be an Awesome version in the next week.  I have a plain test version working with OAuth.  I could test there if provided an early release version.  

Setup is no worse than other applications.  I had a hell of a time with our ERP software as it did not give verbose error messages.  The osTickect OAuth gave pretty good error messages.   The biggest issue I had was that I had with osTicket was that I had to make my test instance available publically.  I also had to update the cacert.pem.  

I extended my opt-out, but I don’t really trust MS to not re-disable legacy auth.  

Thank you.

• October 6, 2022 at 11:56 pm #11897

Thanks for the prompt update. Applied the new release this morning and things look good again.

• October 7, 2022 at 10:16 am #11915
      stevland
      Keymaster

Hello all,

osTicket Awesome for osTicket 1.17 is available now.

• October 7, 2022 at 12:49 pm #11956

It worked perfectly in my test instance that already had the stock 1.17 installed and OAuth working.  I’ll upgrade production this weekend.  

Thank you.  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags