[Support request] Microsoft is retiring basic auth for POP & IMAP #5390

• July 6, 2022 at 7:28 am #10920

See https://github.com/osTicket/osTicket/issues/5390.  A PR has been published and an RC should be forthcoming.  How quickly can osTicketAwesome have this included?

• July 13, 2022 at 4:15 pm #11002
    S
    Stephen@EhOS
    Participant

Bump.

We had to temporary re-enable our basic authentication IMAP protocol to get our e-mail fetchign to work again.  With this being said, Microsoft is permanently shutting down Basic Authentication come October 2022.  I also found the an article on OS Ticket’s forums (https://forum.osticket.com/d/96893-basic-authentication-retirement-for-legacy-protocols-in-exchange-online) and am happy to see that they have invested the time into updating their platform to use more modern and secure protocols.

With this being said, it looks like there is a release candidate available now, and I am sure borrowing some bug fixes and such, an general availability release shouldn’t be too far behind.  My question is how long do we think it might be before OSTicket Awesome adopts this updated release and releases their own version of it.  I am just asking as we have a hard set deadline of October 2022 to make the switch otherwise we will no longer be able to fetch e-mails from any Microsoft Exchange Online Mailbox.

Thoughts?

• July 14, 2022 at 1:56 pm #11046

Stephen,

MS seems to have killed IMAP for our org.  I’ve gone through the process to re-enable basic authentication.  How long did it take for the re-enable to work for you?

• August 16, 2022 at 7:31 am #11297

The latest release candidate for OSTicket 1.17RC3 includes support for the new oAuth2 authentication method for IMAP and SMTP.

We have trialled this with Google and Microsoft, and to no ones’ suprise the Microsoft one is presenting issues. We have it authorising with oAuth2 but IMAP then throws us out. I imagine this will be resolved by the time the final release is provided.

Google Workspace took us 10 minutes to configure and test with oAuth2. Microsoft … 3 days later, not working yet 😛

Jeremy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags