[In Progress] Office 365 Login not working anymore

• June 2, 2022 at 10:29 am #10573
      M
      farsight
      Participant

Hi!

Since a week, my email settings for IMAP do not work anymore with Office 365.

Before it worked without issues.

I did install the normal OS ticket on a copy of our support portal and there it seems to work.

After that i upgraded to v1.16.3 but email still doesn’t work.

I checked settings, password, ports and everything else and i still get “Invalid login. Check IMAP settings”.

The log shows the following:

osTicket is having trouble fetching emails from the following mail account: User: support@xy.net Host: outlook.office365.com Error: Can not authenticate to IMAP server: AUTHENTICATE failed. 113 consecutive errors. Maximum of 5 allowed This could be connection issues related to the mail server. Next delayed login attempt in aprox. 10 minutes

I checked the mail account and i can login there without issues.

Any idea what might be broken here?

Best

Matt

• June 2, 2022 at 11:31 am #10575
      stevland
      Keymaster

Hi @farsight,

There isn’t anything about the email architecture in osTicket that has been modified by osTicket Awesome.

Having never used osTicket or osTicket Awesome with Office 365 or even IMAP myself, I don’t have any special insight to offer you.

Perhaps someone else reading this will have a suggestion for you.

But I suggest you start with this search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Invalid+login.+Check+IMAP+settings%22&rlz=1C1GCEA_enCA985CA985&oq=%22Invalid+login.+Check+IMAP+settings%22

• June 2, 2022 at 11:34 am #10577
      stevland
      Keymaster

Wait. Since posting the above comment something struck me:

AUTHENTICATE failed. 113 consecutive errors.

That sounds like 113 consecutive attempts to access the IMAP server within a short period of time.

Does that make sense to you? Did you keep hammering the server with test emails? Or did you have dozens or perhaps hundreds of active agents and / or users generating emails at that time?

Because otherwise it almost sounds like it could be a security issue. Like a spam bot trying to use your installation, for example.

• July 3, 2022 at 10:23 pm #10868
      halmaclean
      Participant

I could not even get it to work initially, so you’ve gone a step further than I managed. However, I note from MS that they are removing some authentication protocols and it will affect IMAP:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

They said not until October 2022, however they also say if they detect it is not being used fully, they will remove it earlier than that for some users – perhaps they’ve started removing it for you already?

• July 10, 2022 at 11:24 pm #10958

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.